Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Winbind error "Could not fetch our SID - did we join?"

On 2017-11-13 16:00, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:20:05 +0100
> Sven Schwedas <sven.schwedas@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> PS, your configs are still wrong.
>>
>> It would be *really* helpful if you explained *why*. Sprinkling magic
>> pixie dust over random config files isn't exactly purposeful
>> debugging.
>>

> Lets start with /etc/krb5.conf
>
> Samba doesn't need most of what you will find in it, this is mostly
> because most of what you will find there, is a default setting.
> Believe it, or believe it not, you only really need:
>
> [libdefaults]
>     default_realm = AD.TAO.AT

'unnecessary' and 'wrong' are two different things. No doubt that the
config files are overly verbose, but that doesn't make them wrong, does it?

> using 'search' in /etc/resolv.conf means you use host-name lookups

'search' and 'domain' are supposed to be idempotent if there's only one
domain, aren't they?

> /etc/hosts should contain information in the following format:
>
> ipaddress 'canonical-name' 'alias'
>
> 'canonical-name' is anotherway of saying FQDN
> 'alias' is another way of saying short hostname

But how does it affect samba?

> When trying to identify a problem, you start with the obvious from the
> info supplied and fix anything that might be causing the problem.
> If this doesn't work, then look further, ask other questions etc

Yes, but I'd like to get away from asking the *same* five questions
every time by understanding *how* Samba reacts to changes /
misconfigurations here.

Sven Schwedas, Systemadministrator
Mail/XMPP sven.schwedas@xxxxxx | Skype sven.schwedas
TAO Digital | Lendplatz 45 | A8020 Graz