Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba AD Best Practice (DNS)

On 2017-10-20 01:25 PM, Luke Barone via samba wrote:
What do you need that the internal samba DNS server can't do?

There are two things that come to mind:

1) Register DHCP hostnames. As mentioned, we use these.

2) Override FQDNs that it is not a master for. So, if we want to point whatever.google.com at an internal server, that can be done without affecting the rest of *.google.com. We use this extensively for services that have external names/addresses but are mapped through internal VPN tunnels.

For that second point to work, the forwarder would have to work as I presented in the original message, where it forwards unknown entries and not entire zones.

--Pat