Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba AD Best Practice (DNS)

Yes, as changing the domain name is not supported (without unjoining and
rejoining the machines). Depending on your infrastructure, you can try a
couple things:

1. If you have an imaging solution, you can setup the new name (
ad.example.com) on the new (even virtual!) DC (dc1.ad.example.com), and
have your new images join the new domain
2. Use the AD DNS as your network's main DNS server, and simply have it
forward requests it doesn't know to your ISP (or other) DNS server. This
requires the least amount of downtime for your users, and they likely won't
notice a change.