Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba AD Best Practice (DNS)

On 2017-10-12 12:30 PM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
It might help if you described your network.

I thought I went into detail in the first message:

For this example:
- Network: 172.18.0.0/24
- Domain: network.ca
- AD server: ad.network.ca, 172.18.0.20
- Gateway/DNS: 172.18.0.1

The gateway is running as the main DNS server, and has the various underscore ("_") entries required for Windows to find the Active Directory. It sends "172.18.0.1" as the DNS option over its DHCP server. The samba AD server has its DNS forwarder set to "172.18.0.1".

The only thing to add is that 172.18.0.1 runs dnsmasq. samba is used with Windows Desktops for AD and home shares, and with Linux servers for AD with sssd (sambda's Winbind wasn't quite there when this was set up). Nothing really relies on DNS from samba; unless you know something about this point that I do not.

I could also manually add the local entries to samba's DNS. Not crazy about this option.

Thanks,
--Pat