Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba AD Best Practice (DNS)

On 2017-10-12 11:47 AM, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
If you already have a domain, I would set up Active Directory as a
subdomain of this, e.g. instead of using 'network.ca', use
'ad.network.ca' and the FQDN 'dc1.ad.network.ca' for the DC.

Thanks for the reply.

I think that ship's already sailed, the domain has been running as network.ca since Samba4 was in beta, and I can just imagine the headache of changing that over.

I wouldn't have done it that way, but at the time "dns forwarder" to me suggested that *all* (unknown) DNS entries would be forwarded to the main DNS server. Obviously, it's clear now that isn't the case.

I think I'm left with two options:

- Don't point DNS at the AD server.
- Allow some kind of zone copying. Not sure of samba's DNS server supports this.

Neither seems ideal.

--Pat