Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] Samba AD Best Practice (DNS)

Hello,

This question is about best practice of introducing sambda-ad-dc to an organization that already has networking, and being minimally disruptive about it. I guess this question applies equally to adding a Windows AD server, but most people with that setup would let it be the primary DNS, etc.

For this example:
- Network: 172.18.0.0/24
- Domain: network.ca
- AD server: ad.network.ca, 172.18.0.20
- Gateway/DNS: 172.18.0.1

The gateway is running as the main DNS server, and has the various underscore ("_") entries required for Windows to find the Active Directory. It sends "172.18.0.1" as the DNS option over its DHCP server. The samba AD server has its DNS forwarder set to "172.18.0.1".

Now, the question:

To be able to take full advantage of AD, should DHCP provide the Windows clients with "172.18.0.20" as the DNS server? I know it dynamically adds the computers that are on the Active Directory, and possible other things that help make Windows services run smoothly. That said, the samba forwarder only seems to forward zones it is not familiar with. Since the samba server serves up "network.ca", when asked, it does not resolve "gitlab.network.ca" that the main DNS server knows how to resolve. This has forced me to just provide 172.18.0.1 as the DNS.

What is the best practice to solve this. Is there actually any benefit to having the AD server serve up DNS?

I'm sure others have been wondering this, and it would probably be a decent question to put in the DNS section of the Wiki, as I'm sure there are many samba mixed-network environments.

Thanks,
--Pat