Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba upgrade from 4.6 to 4.7

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 16:17:17 +0200
Harsh Kukreja <h.kukreja@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would suggest setting up a new server, join this to the domain as a
> new DC, transfer the FSMO roles to this and then demote the old DC.
> This way, you can change the OS and the Samba version at the same
> time.
>
> Rowland
>
> Thanks Rowland
>
> I like to ask when I build a new samba 4.7 server on Ubuntu 16.04
> then do I have to join it as domain member to the existing DC and
> then transfer FSMO roles.

I took it as granted when you said 'Samba server', you meant an AD DC,
now I am beginning to wonder. If it is an AD domain, you would need to
join the new computer as a DC, you cannot transfer the FSMO roles to a
Unix domain member, it doesn't hold the sam.ldb files.

> Can you please help with the steps to install Sernet Samba 4.7
> package on Ubuntu 16.04.

It is very much the same as installing OS packages, they just have
different names. Surely Sernet provides install instructions when you
purchase your license to use their packages and if you haven't
purchased a license, I am not going to tell you how to use the Sernet
packages.