Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Listing user...

On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 18:47:08 +0200
Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Considering that 'winbind enum users' pose some performance trouble
> and it is better to not use it, how can i list my users (considering
> that previously i was used to a simple 'getent passwd')?

Why do you need a list of users ?

> I can use:
>
> 1) pdbedit -L
>
>   Pros: + it list UID and GECOS, if needed.
>         + it list also machine account, if needed.
>
> 2) wbinfo -u
>
>   Pros: + it list also foreign domain users?
>
> 3) samba-tool user list
>

> Generally speaking, having to code some scripts, there's something of
> these tools (eg, pdbedit, wbinfo and samba-tool) that have to be
> discontinued in the next release of samba?

None of the tools you have mentioned will disappear with the next
release of Samba (4.8.0). Removing any of them would mean that they
would have to be marked as deprecated in samba-master. This would mean
that 'deprecation' would only start with 4.9.0 and so would only take
effect when 5.0.0 came out. I cannot see any of then being marked as
deprecated until such time as something better comes along.