Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] XP auto enrollment error; TEMP profile

The auto enrollment messages seems to be indicate that the client machine thinks it is connecting to an AD domain.

The profile messages is indicative of a domain membership problem, whether or not you are using roaming profiles.

Workgroup method is probably simplest-  although my past experience was that even at 5 machines managing multiple users on multiple machines gets tricky.     In theory, you have 30 passwords to set.   If most people only use computer then this is less of an issue.

For a small domain, I think the "classic PDC"  cane simpler than a Samba AD domain controller.  However I have not actually tried implementing a samba AD domain controller primarily because it would not play well in our environment.     Also, it relies Heimdal Kerberos, which is not included in fedora.    I don't think the XP problems here are related to classic vs AD.    That being said, I do understand that the "classic" domain model is not a long term solution.

No specifically a samba issue but remember the idea of "defense in depth."   Many people think "I have a firewall, my network is safe" and "I have antivirus, my PC's are safe."     You need a mix client antivirus, system patching, application updates, backups, e-mail spam filtering, and user education.     None of these have to be expensive.     I think you can still run free Sophos AV on XP.   Make sure no one is logging in with admin rights.     The biggest threat vector-  at least in my work-  seems to be e-mail (either with malicious attachments or phishing links.) Anyway, that is my pitch from my soap box.   You can take it or leave it.

As the old machines wear out, the XP issue will solve itself.