Re: [Samba] syncpasswords/getpassword: some examples, please...
- Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 17:18:45 -0300
- From: Dale Renton via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Samba] syncpasswords/getpassword: some examples, please...
On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Marco Gaiarin via samba <
> [Clearly, this question is intimately connected to the previous...]
> I need a way to ''preprocess'' or at least intercept password changes,
> because i need to propagate them to other ''legacy'' systems.
> I've looked around and found syncpasswords / getpassword samba-tool
> commands, but really i've not understood how they work.
> Seems to me that can be useful in my scope, but really i've not
> understood how.
> Googling around lead me to some mailing list posts, but was not
> sufficient (at least to me) to understand.
> Wiki seems have nothing on this topic.
> Someone can explain to me? Thanks.
Here are some instructions I have from our implementation on CentOS 7 and
- configure gpg encrypted password for syncing to external system
# gpg2 --gen-key
# gpg2 --list-keys --keyid-format LONG
- add the pub key to "password hash gpg key ids" in smb.conf
- configure password script
# samba-tool user syncpasswords --script=/some_folder/some_script.py
# samba-tool user syncpasswords --logfile=/var/log/some_log_file.log
some_script.py receives the username (sAMAccountName) and password
(virtualClearTextUTF8) in base64. The script ends with print 'DONE-EXIT: '.
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the