Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Joining a domain.

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 18:01:08 +0000
"A. James Lewis via samba" <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope it's not a stupid question, but I'm mainly a Linux admin, and
> I'm really looking at Samba because of winbind, but there's something
> I don't really understand....
>
> People keep talking about computer accounts and joining the domain,
> but the guide I followed required "net ads join -k", which doesn't
> appear to require authentication, and so cannot have actually done
> anything on the domain, so I don't really understand what happens on
> the AD controller side, or if I need to somehow register with the
> domain, or if I can just authenticate anyway... and/or what net ads
> join -k did?
>
> I hope someone can clarify this for me.

You need to authenticate to join a computer to an AD domain, you can
do this with -U username or -U username%password, the only difference
is that the first one will prompt for the password. If you don't
provide a username, the logged in users name will be used. The
'username' must be a user with the correct rights to join a computer to
the domain.

Using '-k' is a bit different, you can still use -U but you don't need
the password and will not be prompted for one. Whenever '-k' is used
to join the domain, 'kinit' will need to have been run beforehand to
obtain a kerberos ticket. This can just be 'kinit', in which a ticket
will be obtained for the logged in user, or 'kinit username', in this
instance, the ticket will be obtained for 'username'

HTH