Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] Joining a domain.

Hi,

I hope it's not a stupid question, but I'm mainly a Linux admin, and I'm really looking at Samba because of winbind, but there's something I don't really understand....

People keep talking about computer accounts and joining the domain, but the guide I followed required "net ads join -k", which doesn't appear to require authentication, and so cannot have actually done anything on the domain, so I don't really understand what happens on the AD controller side, or if I need to somehow register with the domain, or if I can just authenticate anyway... and/or what net ads join -k did?

I hope someone can clarify this for me.

--
A. James Lewis (james@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:james@xxxxxxxxxx))
"Engineering does not require science. Science helps a lot but people