Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] samba 4 ad member - idmap = ad for machine accounts

Hi Rowland,

File server config looks exactly like this, except more shares, all
with same simple config. I know that "use defualt domain" isn't
necessery, but it's not the issue for me right now.

'SYSTEM' is a Windows group and is meaningless to Unix, it should be
mapped to a Unix ID only on a Samba AD DC and there it is an
'xidNumber' not a 'uidNumber or 'gidNumber'. Running 'wbinfo -S
S-1-5-18' (the SID for 'SYSTEM' is S-1-5-8-18) on a UNIX domain member,
returns:
failed to call wbcSidToUid: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Could not convert sid S-1-5-18 to uid

However "wbinfo -Y  S-1-5-18" returns:
2005 (note your ID may be different)

As I said, you could use the kerberos machine account instead, but are
these scripts being run on the fileserver, Samba DC or windows
machines ? if the later, then you shouldn't need a Unix IDs.

2)'m using some machine autostart scripts, for various tasks, which
work again as SYSTEM, so if they have to get anything from network
share, they need to have read/write permission. What I'm doing is,
for example, as autostart run a batch script, that would check
\\fileserver\public\test-file.txt if %COMPTURNAME% exists in this
file. if not - run some robocopy script, then >> %COMPUTERNAME% to
the end of the file.
or even something simple like this:
"if exist \\server\share\%computername%.txt (exit)
else robocopy some-files
echo . > \\server\share\%computername%.txt
exit"

That looks like a Windows script (not that I am an expert on Windows
script languages) so I presume that it is run a Windows machine and
'SYSTEM' should be available on it via its name or SID.

3) Some windows applications that I use also run as SYSTEM account
and they have built-in backup utilities, and if I want to backup
straight to network share - again - machine account needs direct
write access to share.

Hmm, I think I am beginning to understand your problem, you are
confusing 'SYSTEM' with the computers account in AD.

'SYSTEM' does not exist in AD, so you cannot give it a uidNumber or
gidNumber attribute.

I think you need to find another way to do what you are doing now.

Kacper way of doing things is completly correct (at least from authentication point of view). SYSTEM account on Windows uses the machine account for authentication. So for example, using psexec [1], you can try (on an elevated command prompt):

 psexec -s -i cmd.exe

Check that you are local system

 whoami

then you connect to a share (sysvol is a good choice here since "domain computers" has access)

 net use F: \\domain.lan\sysvol

Then on your DC you can check which account has been used for the connexion:

 smbstatus

You'll see that SYSTEM account uses the Kerberos machine account for authentication.

Cheers,

Denis

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/psexec

I do know that machine accounts are "normal" accounts, and I tried
simply adding them to windows ACL, but it just tidn't work. I had to
go with "idmap = rid", and it did just fine, so the issue must be
iwth idmap backend - ad not supplying valid uid for winbind, right?

You should be able to add a uidNumber to a computer, but to make it
work as a user on Unix, you will have to give the Domain Computers
group a gidNumber.

Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems
Les Espaces Jules Verne, bâtiment A