Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] smbclient is SLOWWWWWW; getaddrinfo failed

On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 16:41:13 -0700
toddandmargo via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

# rpm -qa samba
samba-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64

Hi All,

# smbclient -L FedoraServer -U workcentre -W xxxxx

takes about 18 second to ask for the password.  (Windows is slow too.)

Me thinks it has to do with this error
from /var/log/samba/samba-log.192.168.255.12

        get_mydnsfullname: getaddrinfo failed for name
FedoraServer.xxxxx.local [Unknown error]

When I put a tail on the above log, this is where it hangs until the
password prompt comes up

How do I fix this?

Many thanks,
-T

# more /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1   server.storall.local localhost localhost.localdomain
localhost4 loca lhost4.localdomain4
::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6
localhost6.localdomain6

Hi, are you using dhcp ?
If you are, change /etc/hosts to this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

If you aren't, then 'server.storall.local' should point to its IP not
'127.0.0.1'

Rowland

Hi Rowland,

The server also is also DDNS (dynamic domain name server)
server, which means dhcpd talks to bind.  If uses a fixed IP

And "host" does find the IP from host the forward and reverse
tables, with or without the domain name attached.

To get rid of the slows, I need an entry that points to 127.0.0.1
in /etc/hosts for the server's host name.  And, I also
have to spell the server's name correctly in hosts, which
was my screw up.

The entry I showed above did the trick.  This has
been reproduced now on two separate machines at two
separate customer sites.

The second customer site does not serve dhcpd or bind.
It gets a dhcp fixed IP from a Watchguard firewall based
on its MAC address.  The symptom was the same on both
of servers and the cure was the same as well.

Thank you for the help!

-T