Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Question on samba 4.4 as ads pdc

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 12:37:05 -0400
"samba.x.eliezer613--- via samba" <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, If I setup a samba 4.4 server as ads/pdc would that imply on the
> new server one does not have shares. One would install other samba
> 4.4 servers running shares and have those samba server joine the
> ads/pdc server?
>
> Thanks.

I think you mean AD DC instead of 'ads/pdc'. Please do not refer to a
DC as a PDC, a PDC is something completely different and can lead to
confusion.

The Samba recommendation is to run at least one AD DC and a Unix domain
member as a fileserver. It is better to run more than one DC and
multiple fileservers.

If you only have a small number of clients, you may get away with
running one DC as a fileserver, but this gives you just one point of
potential failure.