Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Question regarding permanent mounts

Hi Michael,

we set up a Samba AD with a dedicated fileserver in a heterogeneous
Windows/Linux environment and face a problem right now: we have a few
additional servers used by everyone for doing "heavy" computations.
There, we'd like to mount a folder for sharing between a special group
of users; so it should be mounted permanently. My questions are:

- How can we achieve this?
  - Using cifs, is it possible to use a machine account for mounting and
mount the share when booting?

machine account is mostly a standard account and you can use it to mount a share and read and write from it (given you setup the correct ACLs of course). For instance when a windows workstation boots up, it uses its machine account to connect to sysvol share to copy its GPOs in its local cache.

You'll probably need to have samba put the keytab in a dedicated file (see "kerberos method" parameter) and then you can use it in your mount options. You'll have to be careful about the automatic refresh of the computer account by Winbind if it runs in the background.

  - Using nfs, is it possible to use the Samba Kerberos service?

nfs might be your best option if you need posix semantics. Otherwise you'll be stuck with SMBv1 and it does not scale well. Indeed smb posix extension are not yet implemented in smbv2 or v3.

If you don't need posix semantics, be sure to use SMBv2 or SMBv3 between your computation server and your file server to get better performance.

Cheers,

Denis

  - What's the "best" solution to achieve the goal ;-) ?

I'm looking forward to your suggestions. Regards
Michael

--
Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems