Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] File server questions

Hi Louis

On 30/08/2017 10:28, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
Hai,

First I want to thank you for maintaining a debian repo with updated packages, made my life much easier!

If you have a small network, yes, a DC only is not recommended, but if configured correcly it works fine.
I see you have only one linux server, so i can assum only windows clients.
Then, i say yes, setup an AD DC as fileserver.

Do you have any pointers on which wiki tutorial I should follow to get things started?

What i dont understand, yes, everybody even MS tells AD DC as fileserver is not recommended.
So why was there a MS SBS servers. ADDC, FILE SERVER, SQL, EXCHANGE.
Now you dont want SQL and Exchange on the same server and especialy not on the ADDC but i did deploy lots of them.
and if needed sql on separated server. ( most offices i did, did not use MS Sql.)

What im trying to say here.

If you have a small network, say max 50 users/computer, and not to many groups and nested groups.
Running ADDC als fileserver works fine.
I install AD DC as of 5-10 computers.
The why; it standarizes the setup more, so less problems or problems on all pc's.
And in my case much less problems.
So yes, setup AD DC, especialy if you have only windows clients.
Make life more easy.
The hard part, is the learning part if it,   ;-) and not running it.
Just start simple.

But thats just my opinion.

Greetz,

Louis