Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Shares not accessible when using FQDN

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 14:32:40 +0200
> mathias dufresne via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > To have users accessibles from UNIX side (ie your member server) with
> > any tool (winbind, sssd...) you must (ie that's mandatory) to have
> > all needed informations to build a UNIX user in LDAP tree. What I
> > mean here is you must have uidNumber, gidNumber but also something to
> > fill login shell, home directory and perhaps gecos too (but I expect
> > that last one is not mandatory).
> >

> Sorry but that is wrong, the only rfc2307 attribute you must have in a
> users AD object is uidNumber. You can set the shell and unix homedir
> via template lines in smb.conf. The 'Domain Users' group must have a
> gidNumber attribute.

That's not wrong as template are here replace the missing information in
AD. In any case the tool (winbind or anything) must have these information
available to build the UNIX user.

But we're playing with words and we are drifting away from the subject.