Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Shares not accessible when using FQDN




Hi Rowland, 


The reason is long to explain but shortly it was about huge amount of data ~20TB stored on that server with unix user ID (comming from a S3/LDAP setup). On a DC mode it seems unix ID are in use instead of idmap id. 
CNAME is in added indeed. 
Regarding the migration as said we came from S3/LDAP and go to 4.6. The entire future structure is not fixed yet but at this time we have a DC, a Fileserver and 3 other servers which should be simple fileservers (member) but currently are DC 


Thank you 

----- Mail original -----

De: "Rowland Penny via samba" <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 
À: samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 
Envoyé: Mardi 29 Août 2017 17:03:59 
Objet : Re: [Samba] Shares not accessible when using FQDN 

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 16:27:46 +0200 (CEST) 
Gaetan SLONGO <gslongo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: 

> Hi, 
> 
> 
> "CLUSTER" is because this server is related to a computing cluster, 
> and is the master node of that cluster ;) No relation with Samba 
> infrastructure, this is just a DNS/Netbios alias. To be honnest the 
> reason why this server is also a DC is to solve a big issue appeared 
> when migrating from 3 to 4. We had no other choice because of a 
> couple of reasons, however it is planed to demote it in the near 
> future howerver at this time it needs to work 

OK, but netbios doesn't really work on a DC, also what was the 'big 
issue' that meant you had to use a DC ? 

> 
> 
> Ok thank you I will try by removing the winbind lines 
> 
> 
> Regarding the share structure I know this is not a good setup at that 
> time, now we are in the first step : Migrating from 3 to 4, second 
> step will be better share structure. This is needed to reduce 
> disruptions. We always operate like this until now and it was always 
> successful. Why do you say homes are not working on a DC ? We have a 
> couple of servers which are DC and fileserver at the same time (and 
> provide homes shares) 

You might think [homes] is working correctly and it might appear to be 
working, but it will give problems, why do think we put this: 

The [homes] feature is not supported running on a Samba Active 
Directory (AD) domain controller (DC). 

on the 'Users Home Folder' wiki page ? 

> 
> 
> For now, the biggest issue is shares are not working when using a DNS 
> alias because a couple of users have network drives or shortcuts 
> which use them 

You will need a CNAME in dns on the DC, but all this seems a bit of an 
overkill for something that is going to be demoted. 
I think you need to explain what you are migrating from and what you 
finally hope to end up with. 

Rowland 

-- 
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the 
instructions: https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba 


-- 




www.it-optics.com 
	
Gaëtan SLONGO | Head of Infrastructure Department 
Boulevard Initialis, 28 - 7000 Mons, BELGIUM 
Company : 	+32 (0)65 84 23 85 
Direct : 	+32 (0)65 32 85 88 
Fax : 	+32 (0)65 84 66 76 
Skype ID : 	gslongo.pro 
GPG Key : 	gslongo-gpg_key.asc 
	

- Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail - 








-- 
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the
instructions:  https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba