Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] AD DC and Fileserver

On 29/08/2017 01:10, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
On Tue, 2017-08-29 at 00:06 -0300, Flávio Silveira via samba wrote:
Hi Andrew, thanks for your quick reply!

On 28/08/2017 21:32, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 21:01 -0300, Flávio Silveira via samba wrote:
Good evening,

     Sorry if this question is too dumb, but is it possible to
configure
an AD and Fileserver using the same Samba (or server) or they
need to
be
two separate thing?
We suggest separating them, because having them on the same server
implies you only have one AD DC, and that isn't a good idea.
Giving my first question you may know I am a novice in regards to
AD,
I've only ran Samba as workgroup and simple file server. I guess
your
suggestion applies to any network, no matter what size, right?
Because
my network doesn't have more than 30 clients.
One of the reasons I suggest it is that if you ever get DB corruption,
which is very rare, it doesn't tend to replicate.  It also means you
can upgrade without disrupting clients.

Yes, I just saw one case here where the guy is trying to upgrade to 4.6.7 from 4.1.7 and his db is corrupted.

Additionally, folks often wish to upgrade the AD DC on a different
schedule to the file server.  I'm sure others will pile on with the
other various reasons, but this is the core of it.
Makes sense to have a spare DC and/or file server, can it be a
different
VM for example?
Yes, that is fine.  Naturally, a larger organisation would spread it
out over more hardware, but you will know what makes sense at your
scale.

Ok, I'm thinking on focusing on the file server for now, does that need a backup server as well or just one with backups can be enough? If one is not the case, here is the topology I thought:

1x HDD holding the VMs
2x HDD (RAID 1) for data

file server 1 will use one of the data HDDs
file server 2 will use the other

I don't know if I can use RAID 1 if two distinct machines will use them, even though they are VMs

If it matters, I will be using KVM, which seems to be as
close to a real machine as possible.
That should be fine.  Just remember to keep taking backups with the
samba_backup script also.

Andrew Bartlett

Thanks for reminding me about samba_backup, does that apply for a file server only as well?

Regards,
  Flavio Silveira