Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] AD DC and Fileserver

Hi Andrew, thanks for your quick reply!

On 28/08/2017 21:32, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 21:01 -0300, Flávio Silveira via samba wrote:
Good evening,

    Sorry if this question is too dumb, but is it possible to
configure
an AD and Fileserver using the same Samba (or server) or they need to
be
two separate thing?
We suggest separating them, because having them on the same server
implies you only have one AD DC, and that isn't a good idea.

Giving my first question you may know I am a novice in regards to AD, I've only ran Samba as workgroup and simple file server. I guess your suggestion applies to any network, no matter what size, right? Because my network doesn't have more than 30 clients.

Additionally, folks often wish to upgrade the AD DC on a different
schedule to the file server.  I'm sure others will pile on with the
other various reasons, but this is the core of it.

Makes sense to have a spare DC and/or file server, can it be a different VM for example? If it matters, I will be using KVM, which seems to be as close to a real machine as possible.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett
Regards,
  Flavio Silveira