Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] idmap backends and home directories

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 16:17:05 +0200
Andreas Hauffe via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 21.08.2017 um 15:55 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> > On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 15:43:00 +0200
> > Andreas Hauffe via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Nothing at all. I would like to use ist and I used it over the last
> >> years. But now I have to connect linux clients to a AD without
> >> RFC2307 attributes. And I try to find a way to get it work like
> >> before.
> >>
> >> Andreas
> >>
> > I think you will have to use the winbind 'rid' backend and the
> > template lines.
> >
> > Rowland
> >
> I thought about that. But we have a NFS fileserver for the homes.So I
> need global UIDs/GIDs.
>
> Andreas

The 'rid' backend calculates the user/group IDs from the RID:

ID = RID - BASE_RID + LOW_RANGE_ID

The 'BASE_RID' defaults to 0, so it is really:

ID = RID + LOW_RANGE_ID

So as long as you use the same 'idmap config' lines on every Unix
domain member, you will get the same IDs