Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] xp: unknown user name or bad password

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 00:38:48 -0700
Todd Chester via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 19:53:26 -0700
toddandmargo via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

Fedora Core 26

# rpm -qa \*samba\*
samba-common-4.6.7-0.fc26.noarch
samba-common-libs-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-client-libs-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-winbind-modules-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-libs-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-client-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-common-tools-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-winbind-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64

I am replacing a CentOS 5 Samba Server with a Fedora 26 Samba
server.

XP clients work fine with the CentSO5 server, but not the FC26
server. And smbclient works fine from Linux.

  From XP, I get:
       net view \\FedoraServer
       System error 5 has occurred.   Access is denied.

       net use z: \\FedoraServer\public xxxxxxx /USER:todd
       System error 1326 has occurred
       Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

On the Linux side, both of these work perfectly:
       smbclient -L=192.168.xxx.12
       smbclient -L 192.168.xxx.12 -U todd

What am I doing wrong?  I have attached  my error smb.conf
without the shares to save space.

Many thanks,
-T

[global]
     workgroup = zzzzzz
     server string yyyy Samba Server
     volume = yyyy, %v
     comment = Samba (NetBIOS) Server on FedoraServer.yyyyyy.com
     netbios name = FedroaServer
     netbios aliases = yyyyyy
     interfaces = eno1 127.0.0.1
     deny access to anyone outside the current domain
     hosts deny = ALL
     hosts allow = 192.168.xxx. 127.0.0.
     guest account = pcguest
     log file = /var/log/samba/samba-log.%m
     log level = 4 passdb:10 auth:10
     strict locking = no
     follow symlinks = yes
     wide links = no
     locking = yes
     strict locking = no
     security = user
     smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
     unix password sync = Yes
     passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
     passdb backend = smbpasswd
     username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
     local master = yes
     os level = 75
     domain master = yes
     domain logons = yes
     idmap config * : backend        = tdb
     idmap config * : range          = 1000000-1999999
     preferred master = yes
     wins support = yes
     name resolve order = host wins
     dns proxy = yes
     deadtime = 20160
     force create mode = 0000
     create mode = 0777
     force directory mode = 0000
     directory mode = 0777
     map archive = yes
     map system = yes
     map hidden = yes
[public]
     blah blah blah

     netbios name = FedroaServer # <--- typo ?

Rowland

Indeed!  Thank you!

I did the xp "net" commands wit the IP as well.  And the
net command with the correct spelling picked up the IP
from my DNS server.

I typo both Windows as Widows and Fedora as Fedroa a lot.
:'(

Save your self some typing next time, don't add the 'netbios name'
line, you do not need it, Samba will fill it in for you ;-)

Rowland

Actually, I redacted the joke from that line.  I can't wait to
see if anyone actually discovers it.