Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] xp: unknown user name or bad password

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 19:53:26 -0700
toddandmargo via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

Fedora Core 26

# rpm -qa \*samba\*
samba-common-4.6.7-0.fc26.noarch
samba-common-libs-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-client-libs-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-winbind-modules-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-libs-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-client-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-common-tools-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-winbind-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64

I am replacing a CentOS 5 Samba Server with a Fedora 26 Samba server.

XP clients work fine with the CentSO5 server, but not the FC26 server.
And smbclient works fine from Linux.

 From XP, I get:
      net view \\FedoraServer
      System error 5 has occurred.   Access is denied.

      net use z: \\FedoraServer\public xxxxxxx /USER:todd
      System error 1326 has occurred
      Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

On the Linux side, both of these work perfectly:
      smbclient -L=192.168.xxx.12
      smbclient -L 192.168.xxx.12 -U todd

What am I doing wrong?  I have attached  my error smb.conf
without the shares to save space.

Many thanks,
-T

[global]
    workgroup = zzzzzz
    server string yyyy Samba Server
    volume = yyyy, %v
    comment = Samba (NetBIOS) Server on FedoraServer.yyyyyy.com
    netbios name = FedroaServer
    netbios aliases = yyyyyy
    interfaces = eno1 127.0.0.1
    deny access to anyone outside the current domain
    hosts deny = ALL
    hosts allow = 192.168.xxx. 127.0.0.
    guest account = pcguest
    log file = /var/log/samba/samba-log.%m
    log level = 4 passdb:10 auth:10
    strict locking = no
    follow symlinks = yes
    wide links = no
    locking = yes
    strict locking = no
    security = user
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    unix password sync = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passdb backend = smbpasswd
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    local master = yes
    os level = 75
    domain master = yes
    domain logons = yes
    idmap config * : backend        = tdb
    idmap config * : range          = 1000000-1999999
    preferred master = yes
    wins support = yes
    name resolve order = host wins
    dns proxy = yes
    deadtime = 20160
    force create mode = 0000
    create mode = 0777
    force directory mode = 0000
    directory mode = 0777
    map archive = yes
    map system = yes
    map hidden = yes
[public]
    blah blah blah

    netbios name = FedroaServer # <--- typo ?

Rowland

Indeed!  Thank you!

I did the xp "net" commands wit the IP as well.  And the
net command with the correct spelling picked up the IP
from my DNS server.

I typo both Windows as Widows and Fedora as Fedroa a lot.
:'(