Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba 3.6 to 4.x: User Profile Service Failed the Login

Nothing really wrong with the [global] portion of your smb.conf (there
are a few lines I would remove) but I do not see a profiles share. I
would expect to see something like this:

... snip ...

What I do see is something that looks like a users home directory
'[testuser]'

That's correct. Right now the profiles are being stored in the user's home directory. I realize that's probably unusual, but it does simplify some things, and I've never had an issue with it in Samba 3. When a user logs in when running Samba 4, I can see their profile being downloaded (via smbstatus or logs), and it's only after the profile is synchronized that the error appears.

If you think that's the cause of the problem, however, I'll attempt to move them all to a common share.

It has been quite some time since I used an NT4-style domain, but what
I have noticed is that it is getting harder and harder to keep them
working, not from the Samba side, but from the windows side.

One thing I did notice, you are still using the deprecated smbpasswd
passdb backend.

I agree, I'd love to move to an AD domain, but I'm trying to do small steps in order to make troubleshooting as simple as possible by doing as few changes as possible. My plan was first to go from 3 to 4, then to move from passdb to tdbsam, and then to move from NT4 to AD.

Finally, it could be down to windows updates, try adding this to your
smb.conf:

server max protocol = NT1

Thanks, I'll give this a try shortly.

- Ian