Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

Le Fri, 11 Aug 2017 10:16:32 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

> Hai,
>
> I got a personal notice of a user, which server was running 4.2.14
> (debian jessie), he only got 10-14Mb/s, after upgrading to my 4.6.6
> package (now 4.6.7, he is now getting the full gigabit connection
> speed.
>
> Now if you dont want to upgrade you can try set the nic speed in
> smb.conf. ( man smb.conf )
> interface[;key1=value1[,key2=value2[...]]]
>
>        Known keys are speed, capability, and if_index. Speed is
> specified in bits per second.
>
> And i must say, this should not be needed, but its possible the speed
> is wrongly detected. I was not able to determin why this was on his
> server, i had access to console for this one. (its a college of me)

Well there used to be an "interface" line but I removed it as
unnecessary; we didn't want to restrict Samba to any particular
interface anyway. However it's possible that the 40GigE interface is
the culprit; and it's the only special thing that the machine carries...

However the weird, weird thing is the CPU consumption. I've never seen
smbd capped by CPU power but on very old or very small machines....