Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Public file share Samba 4.6.5

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 06:50:42 -0500
John Schmerold via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am trying to configure a public file share on \\fs1\vol1

  From a Windows 7 command prompt, I enter: dir \\fs1\vol1
Windows says: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Where am I going wrong?

Error log says: " SPNEGO login failed: NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER" - that
must have something to do with this, but I thought that was the point
of "map to guest = Bad User"

My smb.conf:
[global]
          netbios name = FS1
          realm = KATY.LAN
          workgroup = KATY
          log level = 5
          log file = /var/log/samba.log.%m
          max log size = 50
          dns forwarder = 192.168.35.13
          idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
          template shell = /bin/bash
          template homedir = /home/%U
          map to guest = Bad User

[netlogon]
          path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/katy.lan/scripts
          read only = No

[sysvol]
          read only = No

[vol1]
          browseable = yes
          path = /home/smb/vol1
          guest ok = yes
          guest only = yes
          read only = no
          create mask = 777

Your problem is that you are trying to do this on an AD DC, you cannot
use POSIX ACLs on a DC, you can only use Windows ACLS.

I am also struggling why you have named your DC 'FS1' (which I presume
is short for fileserver1) instead of DC1

Rowland

This is just a test / scratch server I use for computer setups and testing to learn what does & does not work.

Thanks for helping with my learning process.

Of course you are right, this is in a VMware box, so I can and should create a DC1, then see about following https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member to get fs1 to work within our test environment.

Thanks again.