Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Allow single sub-folder access on an otherwise prohibited share - why does the solution work?

Am 04.07.2017 um 15:02 schrieb Ole Traupe via samba:
I have managed to grant a specific user access to a sub-folder (sub-level 3 from the share's entry point, I think) on a Samba 4 share he/she is not allowed and not able to access in total/general. I tried 2 different ways with one of them working. I'd like to discuss why that is.

The correct way to do this is to grant the user only the X right on only the folders above, and the RX or M right on the folder where user should have access.

icacls dir         /grant user:(np)(x)
icacls dir\subdir  /grant user:m

The user will not be able to do anything in dir, not even see subdir. The admin should create a shortcut to subdir, and place that shortcut somewhere where the user can click on it, for example on the users desktop.