Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Upgrading samba from jessie (4.2) to stretch (4.5) in AD mode...

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 12:40:35 +0200
Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > > Better to fire up a bug in debian BTS?
>
> > Which version of samba did you upgrade to ?
> > Where did it come from, a Debian repo or Louis's ?
>
> Louis's repo. 2:4.5.8+dfsg-2~bpo8+1 .
>

> > Which package is the postinst script in ?
>
> 'winbind'.
>
> > If I can get this info, I will check just what the script is trying
> > to do.

OK, winbind used to be installed automatically, but you must now
install it manually, so does this mean that winbind will be treated as
a new installation by Debian ?

If so, it appears that this is run:

if deb-systemd-helper --quiet was-enabled winbind.service; then
	# Enables the unit on first installation, creates new
	# symlinks on upgrades if the unit file has changed.
	deb-systemd-helper enable winbind.service >/dev/null || true

If it isn't being treated as 'new' install, then the 'winbind.service'
file is installed but not enabled.

If the 'postinst' script is run with 'configure' (which it probably
is) then this is run:

if [ "$1" = "configure" ] || [ "$1" = "abort-upgrade" ]; then
    if [ -x "/etc/init.d/winbind" ]; then
	update-rc.d winbind defaults >/dev/null
	invoke-rc.d winbind start || exit $?
    fi
fi

So, as 'winbind' tries to be started on a DC, at least one of the
above is being run. Shouldn't the script check if smb.conf has been
set up as a DC and not do either if it has ?