Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Does WannaCry Ransmonware affect Samba?

On Thu, 18 May 2017 08:11:08 -0400
lingpanda101 via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>      Up till today I have only heard that it affects Windows clients
> and Servers. However I received this today that sparked my question
>
> https://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/sites/default/files/FactSheets/ICS-CERT_FactSheet_WannaCry_Ransomware.pdf
>
> This suggests blocking port 445 for Samba specifically. First
> wouldn't blocking port 445 break all file and printer sharing
> functionality? Second isn't this port needed even by Windows for SMB?
> I'm confused. Thanks.

I think what they are trying to say is:

Whilst wannacry will have no affect to a Samba server, if it is on a
Samba share that you connect to, your Windows computer may get infected.

The cure seems to be, turn off file sharing with the Samba server, it
might as well have said 'Go to Samba server, identify the power lead
and pull it out of the power socket' ;-)