Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Upgraded > Samba no longer listening on 192.168.0.x

On Wed, 17 May 2017 03:45:28 -0700 (PDT)
Winfried via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here goes:
>
> root@debian:~# cat /etc/init.d/samba

> # start nmbd, smbd and samba-ad-dc unconditionally
> # the init scripts themselves check if they are needed or not

This tells you that the scripts should check if they should try to
start or stop the relevant deamons.

> case $1 in
>         start)
>                 /etc/init.d/nmbd start
>                 /etc/init.d/smbd start
>                 /etc/init.d/samba-ad-dc start
>                 ;;
>         stop)
>                 /etc/init.d/samba-ad-dc stop
>                 /etc/init.d/smbd stop
>                 /etc/init.d/nmbd stop
>                 ;;

This shows what deamon to try and start/stop, it looks like the
'samba-ad-dc' is where the problem lies.

I use Devuan and there is this in my 'samba-ad-dc' script on a domain
member:

SERVER_ROLE=`samba-tool testparm --parameter-name="server role"  2>/dev/null | tail -1`
if [ "$SERVER_ROLE" != "active directory domain controller" ]; then
    exit 0
fi

There is a similar one in the 'nmbd' and 'smbd' scripts, but this one
exits if it is a DC.

Do you have something like the above in your samba-ad-dc script ?