Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] join W10-PCs to NT4-based samba-domain?

On Mon, 15 May 2017 13:25:03 +0200
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As you may remember I went through a classic-upgrade a few months ago.

I have a second domain to migrate and I am again/still scared to
attack that ;-)

As I prepare my test VM and try to remember all those details the
customer has purchase 2 new Windows 10 PCs and I was asked to take
them into production.

Is there a way to join them to the existing NT4-based Samba-domain or
not?

I find various results online and wonder if it's possible and if I
have to prepare specific things for doing that (registry changes?)

Thanks for an up to date statement on this,
Stefan

ps: I already tried that join 2 weeks ago and wasn't successful ...

Windows doesn't support joining Windows 7 to an NT4-style domain, so
they definitely won't support windows 10.

You may find a way around this lack of Microsoft support, you may also
find that a subsequent Windows update stops it working again.

I really think that it is time that anybody still running an NT4-style
domain starts making plans to upgrade to AD.

Just look what has happened over the weekend with wanacry and XP.
Support for XP & Vista has ended, 7 is in extended support, you really
need to be running supported systems.

Rowland

Windows 7 may not be able to join to a true NT4 domain. However you can (at least you good) set up a Samba BDC in an NT4 domain and net vampire the accounts from the NT4 DC. Windows 7 can join an "classic" domain. Windows 10 can join a classic domain (with signandseal registry change) BUT you have to disable SMB3 on Samba.