Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] join W10-PCs to NT4-based samba-domain?

On Mon, 15 May 2017 14:11:54 +0200
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 2017-05-15 um 14:06 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
>
> > Windows doesn't support joining Windows 7 to an NT4-style domain, so
> > they definitely won't support windows 10.
>
> Well, I joined Win7 to NT4-domain back then ... (reg-hack, but anyway)

You probably can join any windows machine to an NT4-style domain, but
Microsoft isn't making it easy and, going forward, is likely to make it
even harder, if not impossible.

> > You may find a way around this lack of Microsoft support, you may
> > also find that a subsequent Windows update stops it working again.
> >
> > I really think that it is time that anybody still running an
> > NT4-style domain starts making plans to upgrade to AD.
>
> I am on my way, sure!

Good

> > Just look what has happened over the weekend with wanacry and XP.
> > Support for XP & Vista has ended, 7 is in extended support, you
> > really need to be running supported systems.
>
> Yes, I agree. Just wanted to take out the pressure a bit.
> I now prepare the classic-upgrade within a test VM

The only problem that I can see with a classic-upgrade is that Samba
historically allowed some very stupid ID numbers to be used and this is
now coming back to bite people.