Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba 4.6.3 DNS replication with Windows 2008 R2 DC

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 6:22 AM, Chris Alavoine via samba <
samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I currently have 9 x Samba 4.6.3 Domain Controllers happily replicating and
> working nicely. We use BIND_DLZ DNS.
>
> I have been tasked with adding a Windows 2008 R2 DC to this group which I
> have done following this guide:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_
> 2008_/_2008_R2_DC_to_a_Samba_AD
>
> All appears to have gone well and replication is working according to
> "samba-tool drs showrepl", however my zones are not appearing in the DNS
> Manager on the new Windows DC, although the Windows DC appears to be acting
> as a DNS server ok as it can resolve all addresses that exist on the other
> Samba4 DC's.
>
> The only Forward lookup zone that is appearing on the Windows DC is _
> msdcs.domain.com, all others are not visible however they are resolving.
> Obviously, this means I can't create/delete entries on the Windows DC.
>
> Has anyone encountered this before? Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris.

I've seen this before on a Windows 2008 R2 DC, without Samba involved. When
I saw it it exhibited similar behavior to what you described only when
accessing DNS Manager from that DC, if accessed from RSAT everything showed
up.