Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba Active Directory Domain Controller

On 5/8/2017 12:57 PM, Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba wrote:
On 2017-05-08 11:47, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

On Mon, 08 May 2017 11:36:17 -0500
Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2017-05-08 10:39, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:

On Mon, 8 May 2017 16:50:55 +0200
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It seems that you cannot create a new /etc/resolv.conf ..
Did you remove resolvconf with apt-get remove --purge resolvconf?
That should have restored the static resolv.conf back.
Well no, I didn't, but then again this was on Centos 7.3, it wasn't
anything to do with resolvconf, I couldn't create any new file
in /etc.

I just wanted to test something so, more out of desperation than
anything, I tried the 'mkdir /etc1' trick and it worked.

Rowland

You aamy or may not remember that I use Ubuntu server for my Samba
DC's.

Not much time but, I remember that users need to add "dns-nameservers"
and "dns-search" (for local domain) parameters to the
/etc/network/interfaces file and that populates the /etc/resolv.conf
file properly. Tricky but documented somewhere on Ubuntu.

(Yes, I know, not the Debian way but rather the Ubuntu way of doing
this.)
Yes, but you should be able to at least add something
to /etc/resolv.conf, even if it will be overwritten at a later point. I
couldn't even do this on Centos 7.3. I spent more time getting
resolv.conf to work the way I wanted it to, than doing what I wanted
to test ;-)

Rowland

Yes, add it to the /etc/network/interfaces and Ubuntu does the rest.

Once I discovered this worked, it went much easier and worked like a
charm, as they say . . however, they are.

I believe Rowland is speaking specifically to CentOS 7.3 and not Ubuntu. CentOS requires network config changes in

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-"Your Interface"

I can't recall where in CentOS to make changes to resolv.conf.

James