Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Transfer GPO's between servers on different domains?

On 26/04/17 17:31, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
Hi Sebastian,

Am 26.04.2017 um 11:45 schrieb Sebastian Arcus via samba:
As per title, is it possible to export GPO's from one AD DC and import
them into another, one on a different domain? Searching online, all
posts refer to transferring GPO's between servers on the same domain,
or restoring GPO's from backups when rebuilding a server. It is
tedious to configure by hand 30-40 GPO's - it would save a lot of time
if there was a way to just copy them from another working server, on
another domain - and import them in.

There is no special tool in Samba for this, but the Windows tools should
work. These are the first three results I got on Google:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/aa814145(v=vs.85).aspx
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ashleymcglone/2014/04/28/three-steps-to-migrate-group-policy-between-active-directory-domains-or-forests-using-powershell/

http://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/audhs1/SLN283515/windows-server--how-to-import-a-group-policy-objects-settings-into-another-group-policy-object?lang=EN

Argh - thank you very much for that. Clearly I was thinking about it the wrong way - all the searches I did were for Samba - thinking that such a thing wouldn't be possible in the Windows Server world!

Thanks again