Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Setting up a Share Using Windows ACLs

On 2017-04-25 21:49, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 21:32:37 +1000
Henry via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'll try running RSAT on a different Windows client and see if there
> is any difference.
>

>> What I do think is, it isn't a good idea to create Samba shares
>> with spaces in the name, use an underscore instead.
>>
>> Rowland

OK, here are my findings and I hope this helps someone (possibly me
in 12 months time).

I spun up 2012r2 in a VM and had exactly the same problems. What I
found was:

if RSAT is unable to access the folder then the "Security" tab does
not appear. i.e. if the folder does not exist in Linux. Further to
this is if RSAT is unable to read/access the folder the "Security"
tab does not exist.

When using spaces in the folder name I used "\" to escape the spaces
so in smb.conf I had:
[Test me]
        path = /srv/samba/data/Test\ Me/
        read only = no

This resulted in RSAT displaying the folder path as:
"C:\srv\samba\data\Test\ Me\"

Accordingly the spaces were not being escaped properly, the folder
could not be found and the "Security" tab was not available. This was
resolved by changing smb.conf to:
[Test me]
        path = "/srv/samba/data/Test Me/"
        read only = no

This resulted in RSAT displaying the folder path as:
"C:\srv\samba\data\Test Me\"

Accordingly the spaces were escaped properly, the folder could be
found and the "Security" tab was available.

I think this needs to be on the wiki, how about if I add it to the
FAQ ? or is there a better place for it ?

Rowland

Great idea. Under FAQ in detail with a link to FAQ item on the Windows ACLs page under adding a share:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs#Adding_a_Share
Want me to draft something?