Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Setting up a Share Using Windows ACLs

I'll try running RSAT on a different Windows client and see if there
is any difference.

What I do think is, it isn't a good idea to create Samba shares with
spaces in the name, use an underscore instead.

Rowland

OK, here are my findings and I hope this helps someone (possibly me in 12 months time).

I spun up 2012r2 in a VM and had exactly the same problems. What I found was:

if RSAT is unable to access the folder then the "Security" tab does not appear. i.e. if the folder does not exist in Linux. Further to this is if RSAT is unable to read/access the folder the "Security" tab does not exist.

When using spaces in the folder name I used "\" to escape the spaces so in smb.conf I had:
[Test me]
       path = /srv/samba/data/Test\ Me/
       read only = no

This resulted in RSAT displaying the folder path as:
"C:\srv\samba\data\Test\ Me\"

Accordingly the spaces were not being escaped properly, the folder could not be found and the "Security" tab was not available. This was resolved by changing smb.conf to:
[Test me]
       path = "/srv/samba/data/Test Me/"
       read only = no

This resulted in RSAT displaying the folder path as:
"C:\srv\samba\data\Test Me\"

Accordingly the spaces were escaped properly, the folder could be found and the "Security" tab was available.