Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Setting up a Share Using Windows ACLs

On 2017-04-25 18:09, Rowland Penny wrote:
On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 17:50:49 +1000
Henry via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2017-04-25 17:46, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2017 17:26:21 +1000
> Henry via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I am not sure this has solved my problem but it has.
>> My Folder in Linux had a space in it's name. Renaming the folder to
>> remove the space and updating smb.conf returned the "Security" tab
>> in RSAT Computer Management.
>> When I changed the name back to having a space the Security tab
>> disappeared again.
>>

> This is a Unix thing, you cannot have a space in anything i.e.
>
> getent group Domain Users
>
> will not work, but:
>
> getent group "Domain Users"
>
> will.
>
> Rowland

root@aphrodite:~# getent group "Domain Admins"
domain admins:x:10001:
root@aphrodite:~# getent group Domain\ Admins
domain admins:x:10001:
root@aphrodite:~#

Well yes, but:

root@member1:~# getent group Domain Admins
root@member1:~#

Unless you do something to work around the space, Unix treats each part
as a different name, so 'getent group Domain Admins' becomes:

getent group Domain
getent Group Admins

Rowland

Thanks Rowland, you are correct.
My share folder name with a space was escaped using "\" and I do have another test share with a space in the folder name that works ! So changing the folder name to something new makes it work and if changed back it stops working so somewhere there must be a memory of the old folder name with retained config problems. I bet it's stored in a Samba db or similar however this is beyond my skill set.