Re: [Samba] Migrate OLD PDC on Centos5 to Centos6
- Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 11:05:13 +0200
- From: Marc Muehlfeld via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Samba] Migrate OLD PDC on Centos5 to Centos6
Am 07.04.2017 um 22:30 schrieb Alberto Moreno via samba:
I have a old server running our PDC(NT4 Style) with Centos 5+samba 3x+LDAP
I want to move this setup to Centos 6.
Some one running this layout under Centos6 without issue?
I don't want to right now to work with AD style yet, no time for testing.
I understand if people have a reason no to migrate to Samba AD, but why
do you move from an EOL RHEL version to one that is almost 7 years old?
RHEL6 enters next month Production Phase 3 (only security update and
urgent priority bug fixes). At the latest in 3 years, you have to
upgrade to RHEL7 or later, because RHEL6 will then reach its EOL.
In case you consider switching to RHEL 6 is because it contains Samba 3
packages, I just wanted to make sure that you know: Samba 4.x _does not_
mean you must migrate to AD. See
Regarding your migration scenario (the short version):
- Read the release notes of Samba versions you skipped. Parameters, etc.
may have changed their defaults or have been removed in the meantime.
- Export the LDAP database.
- Back up your smb.conf and Samba databases.
- Turn of the old PDC.
- Install the new OS. Use the same host name and IP to keep things simple.
- Restore your /etc/openldap/slapd.conf (remove /etc/openldap/slapd.d/,
if it exists).
- Import the LDAP database.
- Restore smb.conf and the Samba databases to the correpsonding
directories (I /guess/ the locations did not change).
- Start Samba
- Check the log files for errors
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the