Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] User database

Hello Michael,

Am 05.04.2017 um 03:08 schrieb Michael Blahay via samba:
> Is it required to include users in the Samba user database?

For NT4 and AD domains, users are stored centrally in the domain database on the PDC/DC. On domain members, users are pulled from the PDC/DC. Central management of users is one of the major reasons why you set up a domain.

On standalone hosts with authentication, users must exist in the OS (doesn't matter where they are stored: passwd, NIS, LDAP, etc.) _and_ in the local Samba database. This is described here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server#Creating_a_Local_User_Account

> I have had to thus far, but the documentation does not seem to
> spell it out,...

Which documentation?

Regards,
Marc