Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] winbind and classic (NT4 style) domain - domain offline

Dear List,

I do have a problem with winbind on newer samba versions and an old 3.6.6 (Debian wheezy) NT4 style DC. Samba 4.2 in Debian Jessie works fine, but more recent versions I tried, show the Domain as offline (and thus do not perform various other wb operations).
Server successfully joined the Domain.

smb.conf:
[global]
workgroup = HG
security = domain
client ipc signing = auto
server role = member server

Version 4.2.14-Debian:
root@provision-test:/etc/samba# wbinfo --online-status
BUILTIN : online
PROVISION-TEST : online
HG : online

Version 4.6.2-Debian:
root@provision-test:/etc/samba# wbinfo --online-status
BUILTIN : online
PROVISION-TEST : online
HG : offline

That is on the same system minutes later after a direct upgrade to the packages from L.P.H. van Belle.
Problem is reproducible on Ubuntu 16.04 with Samba 4.3.11.

Did I just miss a compatibility switch that is needed for newer versions?

TIA,
Oliver