Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Upgrade SAMBA4 and Skip release . . .

Hi,

Am 02.04.2017 um 19:10 schrieb Micha Ballmann via samba:
im running three SAMBA4 Domain Controller, version 4.6.0. Is it possible
to skip a release, when upgrade. For example from 4.6.0 -> 4.6.2 . . .?
How many steps are possiblerespectively recommendable?

yes, you can skip releases.

I'm not sure if we have an official policy about this. However, updating between three minor-level series should always be possible, because we support three in a row at the same time.

For example, currently 4.6 is the newest and 4.4 the oldest Samba series we support. Therefore, updating from 4.4.x to 4.6.x should be no problem.

However, if you skip patch-level versions (x.y.z) versions, read the release notes of the versions you skipped. If you switch to a newer minor-level version (x.y), read the release notes of the initial release (x.y.0) of each new series between your old and new version, and the release notes up to the patch-level version of the series you will install. There may be changes that may have impact on your environment, such as new parameter defaults.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba
contains some general information about updating Samba and the most noteable changes (anyway: read the release notes! :-)).

Regards,
Marc