Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Encrypted samba mount on Linux

Thanks Steve.

That's great news. Pretty recent commit. Which kernel version (onward) is it in?

Regards,

Draxter.

On 01/04/17 00:49, Steve French wrote:
Kernel cifs supports encryption!! (Thank you Pavel for good work, redoing the transport layer for this!).

See e.g. this series which was merged a couple months ago into mainline Linux kernel:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/fs/cifs?id=ae6f8dd4d0c87bfb72da9d9b56342adf53e69c31

mount -t cifs //localhost/test /mnt -o vers=3.0,seal ....

See attached screenshot of it in action to Samba (just did a quick mount and displayed wireshark trace of the data so you could see)

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jra@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Sat, Apr 01, 2017 at 12:20:23AM +0100, Draxter via samba wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My server machine is running samba version 4.4.4 on Linux with 'smb
    > encryption = mandatory' option.
    >
    > My client is a Ubuntu 16.10 Linux machine.
    >
    > I am looking for a way to mount the encrypted samba share on the
    Linux
    > client machine. I noticed that mount.cifs does not support
    encryption
    > but smbclient does with an -e flag, however it seems to only be
    usable
    > in a ftp-like interface. Is there any way to mount this share with
    > smbclient or any other software that supports encrypted samba
    shares?

    Sending to Steve, who can explain why he *still*
    hasn't implemented this in cifsfs, depite it being
    designed to his spec. and included in the server since
    Samba 3.2.0....

    Bitter, Moi ? :-).

    Over to you Steve !

--