Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] Custom Authentication Plugin (passdb backend)

I'm looking to create a "passdb backend" plugin so that Samba can authenticate with our existing custom authentication system. Though I haven't been able to locate any documentation on this, I believe it's possible (without modifying Samba proper) for the following reasons:

- This project exists (though isn't being maintained and doesn't work
  with the current version):
  https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdbsql

- When I set "passdb backend = foo" in smb.conf, my Samba logs show the
  following error:
  "No builtin nor plugin backend for foo found"
  Which indicates to me that it's at least looking for a plugin that it
  can use.

I understand that it's more than just authentication. It's also a variety of other pieces of data that I'll need to store and be able to return.

I'm wondering if documentation exists that can lead me in the right direction for how to get started on creating this.