Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Toggling access denied when writing/deleting

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 16:02:52 +0100
Bird Developr via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe I solved the problem myself. The problem is a toggling hostname.
> When the machine boots up it has the hostname "localhost.localdomain".
> When Samba starts right away it gets this hostname. But through DHCP
> the machine gets another hostname. So it depends when Samba is
> started: before or after the DHCP call.
>
> According to this documentation the hostname plays an important role:
> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/upgrades.html .
>
> So I set the "netbios name" property in the smb.cnf and also set a
> fixed hostname in /etc/hostname.
>
> Hopfefully that will solve this problem.

OK, I use Debian and on a DHCP client, I have the clients short
hostname in /etc/hostname, in /etc/hosts there is this:

127.0.0.1	localhost

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

I do not have 'netbios name' in smb.conf.

I think this is a Centos problem, not a Samba one. It is very easy to
miss where you can set the hostname when installing Centos and the
computers name then gets set to localhost.localdomain