Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] linux clients sharing same home directory as W clients

On Sun, 05 Feb 2017 11:18:37 -0600
Bob of Donelson Trophy via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, clearly there are no "file lock" issues or "the like" that would
> prevent the file created in Windows (client) to be "seen" by the Linux
> client when the same user logs into the linux workstation?

I will be honest and state that I don't know about any potential lock
issues, this is because I have never tried it, but a share is a share
and as such it shouldn't matter what computer the user is logged into,
provided the user has the required permissions to access the share.

> I understand what your suggesting . . . I am only concerned with user
> access via Windows client and the same user having access via linux
> client.

The only potential problem I can see is where the user doesn't log out
of one computer before logging into another

> (I intend to authenticate the linux client to the AD. I have
> experimented with that in the past and used sssd and (the newer
> version of) LikewiseOpen. Does not mean that there is not any other
> way, though. I am just struggling with "getting my head around" how
> to share the same Windows user directories to the linux clients and
> there NOT being any file permission issues.)

Provided winbind is set up correctly, it can do anything sssd and
likewiseopen (which you shouldn't use anyway) can do.