Web lists-archives.com

Re: [PHP] Re: cookie management

> On Feb 19, 2018, at 6:24 AM, Christoph M. Becker <cmbecker69@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 16.02.2018 at 22:04, Jeffry Killen wrote:
>
>> I am working on a project that has to manage
>> cookies both by php and by javascript.
>>
>> A cookie is set for a user.
>>
>> Now if the same user opens a new window in the browser and navigates to the same page
>> that set the cookie in the first window, how will the server be able to differentiate, assuming
>> the cookie has the same name, set in the same client in both opened windows? The second
>> would overwrite the first if the values are different, right?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I am thinking of cookie arrays but I am not sure that would be the solution.
>
> You can store an *arbitrary* string in a cookie (note that there are
> usually rather tight limits regarding the size of all cookies of a
> domain, though).  You could store a JSON string inside the cookie, or
> use multiple cookies.  However, that wouldn't appear to solve your issue.
>
> It seems to me that the problem is: "how will the server be able to
> differentiate".  Why should the server differentiate which tab made the
> request, at all?
>
> --

Thank you for the reply:

> Why should the server differentiate which tab made the
> request, at all?

I just want to know if it was possible for a user to have two
sessions opened to the same domain at the same time
from the same client.

I am working on a modular registration and log in - log out
system. So I play the role of both the user who would
be using my work, and the developer. I am anticipating
potential difficulties owing to this sort of situation.

JK