Web lists-archives.com

Re: [PHP] Password filter

On January 12, 2018 5:44:25 PM UTC, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Tedd Sperling wrote:
>> Hi Gang:
>> Does anyone have a password filter? IOW, a routine/function where it
>> rejects any password that does not conform to certain rules such as
>> “At least on Capital letter. At least one Number. At least one
>> and such? I know, I hate those things myself — because I use phrases
>> and it annoys me when these “Know it all” routines stop me from using
>> pass-phrases I like, but I’ve had an order from a client and never
>> argue with a client.
>Sounds like a pretty simple regex.

Minimum length should be your only real requirement. Transposing letters for numbers/symbols serves only to make the password harder to remember (and thus end up on a post-it note stuck to the computer) but does little to the amount of time it takes to crack.

Obligatory xkcd reference: https://xkcd.com/936/