Web lists-archives.com

[PHP] Re: Including JS code that uses PHP

On 05.09.2017 at 22:58, Larry Martell wrote:

> I have some javascript code that has PHP in it like this:
>
> var CLIENT_ID='<?php echo $CLIENT_ID; ?>'
>
> If I put the JS code directly in a php file with:
>
>   <script type="text/javascript">
>       .
>       .
>       .
>   </script>
>
> Then at run time CLIENT_ID has the value I want. I want to use the
> same JS code in many php files. But if I include the JS code like
> this:
>
>   <script src="login.js" type="text/javascript">
>
> Then that php code does not get run and CLIENT_ID has the literal
> string '<?php echo $CLIENT_ID; ?>'
>
> Is there a way I can reuse my JS file and still have embedded PHP in it?

There might be, but consider to simply pass the required values as data
to JavaScript instead.  A very simplistic way might be:

PHP file:

  <?php $serverData = ['client_id' => CLIENT_ID']?>
  <script>var serverData = <?=json_encode($serverData)?></script>
  <script src="login.js">

JavaScript file (login.js):

  alert(serverData.CLIENT_ID);

--